[Opensim-dev] Stable Branch pt III Was: RFC: Changing default script engine to xengine

Mike Mazur mmazur at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 00:28:15 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 14:38:35 +0000
Justin Clark-Casey <jjustincc at googlemail.com> wrote:

> I'm actually much more drawn to the idea that Adam proposed about a
> month ago (and which I was negative on at the time) that we start
> labeling odd minor versions as unstable and even versions as stable
> (please correct me if I misinterpreted this).  Therefore, when we tag
> 0.6.1 on the trunk this could perhaps be labeled as 0.6.1-unstable.
>
> The idea would be that the period between 0.6.1 and 0.6.2 would be as
> short as possible.  In that period we would refrain from making any
> changes that we think could destabilize the build, and preferably
> concentrate on those which would improve stability.  Once we're happy
> that the trunk is in a reasonable state then we would tag
> 0.6.2-stable and move on with the next set of somewhat riskier
> changes.

This worries me in that it imposes some rules on what work we can be
doing on OpenSim. What if I have a great idea that I'd like to work on
before the details become murky in my mind, but we're in a "stable
patches only" phase? Given the distributed and varied nature of the
development team, I wondering how this would benefit the project as a
whole.

One way of achieving this is having two branches going on at the same
time (the stable one and the unstable one), so that there is always
somewhere I can commit my changes, regardless of their nature. Doesn't
this bring us back to Stefan's original suggestion of having a stable
branch?

Mike