[Opensim-dev] rex auth & avatar systems (Re: future rexviewer merger)

Frisby, Adam adam at deepthink.com.au
Tue Dec 9 00:43:34 UTC 2008

My understanding of the structure is the Rex system is closer to a decoupled system than the Hypergrid.

Hypergrid involves teleporting along known links - ie you teleport to a hypergrid region which connects you to other regions. The Rex model is closer to a web browser, where you move along via URL-equivilents, and it will disconnect/reconnect you from the current/next sims - sort of ala a more seamless Meerkat.

The Rex auth server basically acts as an identity broker - when you request access to a sim on a different network ("grid"-ish), you get authorised by your auth server. Your auth server acts very similarly to the OGP Agent Domain, in that it is responsible for routing messages to you, assigning sessions, etc.

At risk of using outlook's HTML here, allow me to draw a diagram...

[cid:image001.png at 01C95953.DCA0E7A0][cid:image002.png at 01C95953.DCA0E7A0][cid:image003.png at 01C95953.DCA0E7A0]

        [cid:image004.png at 01C95953.DCA0E7A0]

This diagram shows a user logging into the first sim, then teleporting to a second sim on another network. AuthAlpha.com isn't prescribed anywhere on any sims - they don't know it exists until a user attempts to login, in which case it is contacted and asked to cough up some info about the user.

The rex server operates under two modes here, you can either lock to particular pre-authorised auth servers (the OGP 'internal network' use case - ie, corporate intranets, etc), or you can open up to any avatar on any auth server (public grids, etc).

Regards,

Adam