[Opensim-dev] rex auth & avatar systems (Re: future rexviewer merger)

Michael Wright michaelwri22 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Dec 8 16:53:00 UTC 2008

As far as I understand it their teleporting from SL to a Rex grid was all client based, basically the client would close one connection and account (to SL) and open a new one to another grid. So you weren't using the same account or inventory. So I don't think that is really anything like HyperGrid or LL's OGP.

Of course Rex have done some good things, but all the question from Cristina were asking is what are the differences are between OpenSim's User-Inventory-Asset  servers and Rex's Avatar/Global Inventory  servers.  And why did they have to go with a different system when the Rex server is based on OpenSim. I don't think they were meant as any sort of attack on Rex for doing so, she was just trying to understand the differences and reasons.

I have some ideas to the differences and reasons but not enough to try to answer the questions, so I will leave that for someone from Rex.

Destiny Niles <techiedavid at gmail.com> wrote: Rex avatar server was out and TPing from SL to a Rex grid was done
before LL made the gridnaughts. The Rex group is ahead of the curve.
It probably will not hard for them to retool and go backwards to be
compatible with others are doing. But you have to remember that Rex
server is really the leader, the others are just following and not
acknowledging the work that has been done already.