[Opensim-dev] future rexviewer merger

Michael Wright michaelwri22 at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Dec 6 00:44:11 UTC 2008

+1 , lets keep this from becoming a big argument and instead focus on where the two projects can work together.

On the subject of support for the Rex viewer in opensim:

I think the goal of opensim has always been to support lots of different viewers, and Rex happen to have a viewer, which is also the only viable "user ready" viewer, that I know of, that supports meshes. So it makes sense that opensim supports it if possible, and Adam is working towards that with his modules.

Maybe in the future we will also have a different mesh system in opensim. But just by us supporting the Rex system now, doesn't stop there being other ones, or it being improved on.

And on the subject components like the Rex avatar server:

It would be good if Rex could provide more information about their avatar server/system. As here, I share the same opinion that I believe Melanie was meaning, that really from a opensim side, the Rex avatar system has been too closed in its design and development. With no or little input from the wider community.

Everything that goes into opensim has to be open to all the developers, including having the design of the compontents openly disccused from the initial stages.

But understandably Rex have their own methods and have to commit their resources where and how they think they best meet their needs. Which results in them having a slightly different opensource approach to that of opensim.

Its just that I don't think its very likely that opensim will accept, into the opensim core, components like the Avatar server, without the opensim developers having more involvement in the design and development of such a important component.

Having said that I do think both sides (rex and opensim) are learning how to work together much better, so maybe in the future we could work together on a shared avatar system.

But whatever the differences, both projects share a lot in common and have afaik very similar goals. So we should all do as much as we can to help each other towards our shared aims.

Charles Krinke <cfk at pacbell.net> wrote: Hang on, hang on. Lets get back to where we can move forward step by step and have a little fun in the process.

1. There is a Rex Viewer. Lets get some momentum on the OpenSim side with one or more folks testing it on one or more OpenSim grids and report on the #opensim IRC channel and this e-mail what works and what doesnt work in such a way that the Rex folks can move forward in a logical manner.

2. There is a Rex server. Some of it may be appropriate to bring into OpenSim as modules or patches. Lets discuss as "peers" the technical issues, merits and implementations that the Rex server brings to OpenSim.

3.  Lets get a similar testing and integration effort underway on one or more grids in order to allow those parts of the Rex work which are appropriate for OpenSim to get closer  to svn.

I understand the passions involved. We all have passions, and I am no exception. But, working out the technical details and letting go of past issues is the best way for us to move forward.

Charles