[Opensim-dev] future rexviewer merger

Ryan McDougall sempuki1 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 18:41:11 UTC 2008

Thank you for your addition to the discussion James, however I think
Paul may have misunderstood reX architecture when made a private
discussion public without consent.

The reX avatar and authentication servers replace the User server and
split it into Avatar storage for reX's own avatar system, and pure
authentication of identity (the latter a bit like OpenID). The idea is
to enable avatar portability: the ability to take the same
meticulously created reX avatar from one grid to another.

Afaik there is no analogue for stock OpenSim, and thus its difficult
to merge until the reX team is better integrated with OpenSim.

Moreover I see room for improvement there, and have some ideas to
change it further. It would be better for all parties if we did our
prototyping first, and then worry about arguing who has the better
concept or code later and the discussion is on objective ground.

Cheers,