[Opensim-dev] Another idea for the OpenSimulator 0.7 roadmap - increased automated unit test / regression testing

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 29 17:47:51 UTC 2008

In addition to the ideas that MW (and others) have discussed, I'd also
like to put forward the idea of increasing our level of automated unit
and regression tests for the 0.7 release.

Previously I was more in favour of pushing forward quickly rather than
spending too much time test writing (and I think this was how it was
when I joined the project).  However. we're now approaching the point
where a reasonable amount of functionality has been filled out in
OpenSim (at least from the Second Life POV).  Greater reliability is
going to be necessary if the platform is going to be used seriously for
grid and enterprise level activity.   Naturally, there's a level of
self/company-interest here ;-) but I think that spending time on this
will benefit many if not all of us.

Of course, automated tests certainly won't be a perfect safety net but
hopefully it would help to improve OpenSim by catching the revisions in
which regressions are introduced.  This will also mean refactoring will
be much less error prone.  I'm most probably preaching to the choir here.

I think that part of this will mean pushing the test results from builds
into the IRC channel (as already discussed with Sean), and making test
results more prominent (perhaps even on the opensimulator.org front page?)

Personally, I hope to start putting some of FRI's coding time where my
mouth is and start doing some work towards this this later on next month.

--
justincc
Justin Clark-Casey