[Opensim-dev] Viewer license issues [was: Re: OpenSimulator 0.7 (was incorrectly 0.6) Roadmap]

Dr Scofield DrScofield at xyzzyxyzzy.net
Fri Aug 29 09:37:41 UTC 2008

Ryan McDougall wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-08-28 at 22:16 +0100, Michael Wright wrote:
>
>> But yeah the ideal solution on the client front is a useable working
>> non GPL client. Until we can add features/GUI's to a clien, while at
>> the same time work on opensim. Custom features/applications are very
>> difficult.
>
> I know we are BSD fans around here but the problem isn't with the GPL. I
> quite like the GPL, and the FSF itself is happy to help you sort out how
> to live peaceably with BSD.
>
> The problem here is
>
> 1. a strange US legal ruling that says transcoding (from C++ to C#) can
> be consider copying and thus fall under copyright (although who here
> knows what conditions those are?)

is there really a ruling? so far i was under the impression that we declared
GPL-code exposure a no-no because of the extreme paranoia of the company i work
for... if there is indeed a legal precedent in the US that would kind of correct
my impression of (some of) our internal legal folks ;-)

	dr scofield/dirk

--
dr dirk husemann ---- virtual worlds research ---- ibm zurich research lab
SL: dr scofield ---- drscofield at xyzzyxyzzy.net ---- http://xyzzyxyzzy.net/