[Opensim-dev] OpenSimulator 0.6 Roadmap

dan miller danbmil99 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 28 20:02:26 UTC 2008

these are probably feature requests that are too far out for a mere 0.01 increment, but I thought I should throw them out there anyway.  They are both potentially non-Linden compatible, and so I guess they won't get much traction until OpenViewer is more mature.

* Mesh prims.  In talking to some folks about possible corporate projects, this comes up as the #1 deal-killer wrt Opensim.  User-generated content is great, but the absolute lack of any workflow from professional 3D tools (other than paying someone to duplicate a build in SL format) keeps Opensim tied to the mast of Linden's success/failure.

* Real-time avatar control.  Some lively discussion went on at the Rex list about the idea of controlling an avatar through a real-time protocol.  The idea is to enable algorithmic &/or advanced interface control.  As a simple use case, imagine a Wii-like device that allows you to move your avatar's arm.  Right now, there's no simple way to do anything like that.  There are also important AI applications that are severely limited by the animation-only model.

Take these inputs as intended -- ideas for future discussion.

-danx0r

Daniel B. Miller
aka danx0r
life is a simulation