[Opensim-dev] Anyone having similar issues?

Butch Arnold butch.arnold at 3rdrockgrid.com
Wed Aug 27 03:12:33 UTC 2008

Hi All,

I'm wondering if anyone is having similar issues?

My grid environment consists of servers running Windows server 2003 R2
with MySql.
No Firewalls
We're configured using Meshmerizer, OpenDynamicsEngine and DotNet script
engine.

User and grid servers share a server while another server hosts the
asset, inventory, and mess. servers.
All servers have 100mb connections.

There's at least 1gig "FREE" ram at all times on all machines.

Recently.. we've been experiencing a situation where a user may report a
region as being down... but to other users it's fine, the user reporting
the down region cannot see into the region.. only a blank area of water,
they cannot teleport to it and if they try to cross into it.. they will
crash.
While this is happening.... others interacting with this region are
having no trouble at all.

If the user who is having problems tries to relog to the region in
question... their login attempt hangs at the handshake and eventually
times out.
After trying again.. they are told they are already logged in.. it fails
and does the logout for the user as expected.. but once they try to
relog.. it hangs at the handshake and the cycle will repeat.

The only way for this user to get back into this region is to reboot the
simulator instance this region is on... but... other users are using and
logging into the region fine.
The problems seems very random in nature... it happens on regions where
we have scripts enabled, disabled, lightly loaded regions, more than 1
user and sometimes no users.

Pings and traceroutes show no abnormalities server to server or user to
servers during these issues.

Have anyone else had any problems like these?

I've been searching for a solution to this for the past couple of
weeks.. with no success.
I'm sure I must be overlooking something obvious here... but I've
checked everything and cannot find anything amiss.

I was hoping someone else may have run into this as well where maybe we
could share notes/ideas.

Thank-you for your time,
-Terry