[Opensim-dev] OGP and Region Handles (was: Re: [Gridnauts] Next step?)

Suzy Deffeyes suzyq at us.ibm.com
Fri Aug 22 12:07:02 UTC 2008

Hi Mana,

The use of the regionhandle is an area of the OGP that could use some
sunshine and disinfectanct. The reason things seem a bit inflexible right
now is that the viewer doesn't really have a concept of managing its
region list on a *per grid* basis because up until now there was only one
grid.

Also, during the original proof of concept phase of OGP, we found the
regionhandle computation to be an assumption that wasn't spelled out in
OGP.  The  rez_avatar/place protocol passes back a region_x and region_y
which the viewer uses to compute a regionhandle.... *and* this handle must
match the regionhandle that the sim computes for itself.  The assumption
was that both the viewer *and* the sim are computing the regionhandle, and
unless they compute it in exactly the same way, the viewer and sim can't
connect properly.

Additionally the client uses the coordinates stashed in the regionhandle
in a bunch of different ways ( find the regions next to you, some graphics
transform code, audio, other ways i haven't figured out...).  That will
take some sorting, and pondering about how regionhandles should be used in
the protocol.

So it's exactly issues like this that we need to work out, and make sure
they make sense for anyone ( SL, OpenSim, or otherwise) that is
implementing OGP.
This
Thanks
Suzy Deffeyes