[Opensim-dev] OGP and Region Handles (was: Re: [Gridnauts] Next step?)

Mana Janus mana.janus at web.de
Fri Aug 22 08:12:37 UTC 2008

Hi Gridnauts,

Teravus Ovares wrote:
> No, you're correct here.   The main difference is what OpenSimulator
> and OGP considers one unit on the grid space.  It's clear that OGP
> uses meters as the unit in terms of grid space definition.
> OpenSimulator uses blocks of 256 meters as the unit in terms of grid
> space definition.
>
> This leads to space allocations on the aditi grid like the
> following:  1048832/1048832,
> translating to the following grid space in OpenSimulator: 4097/4097
> (1048832 divided by 256 equals 4097)
>
> One thing to note.  When it gets to the client, it's defined in terms
> of meters, not blocks of 256 meters.  This means that the use of the
> 256 blocks as one grid unit is limited to the way OpenSimulator
> represents grid locations internally.
>
> This seems like a topic to send to the opensim-dev list as well

Hmm, I wonder why this should be an issue at all. Isn't OGP supposed to
allow teleporting from grid to grid? So it would be dangerous, to rely
on position or region handle anywhere in the process.

It might easily happen, that you teleport from a region in one grid to
another region with the same position/handle in another grid. If this
scenario is supported by the protocol, then why would it be necessary to
adapt region positions to the same scheme?

Or did I get something fundamentally wrong?

Best regards,

Mana