[Opensim-dev] New Opensim features and minimum hosting hardware requirements

Dahlia Trimble dahliatrimble at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 03:09:19 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 6:45 PM, Mike Mazur <mmazur at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 16:08:25 -0700
> "Dahlia Trimble" <dahliatrimble at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > [Comments about OpenSim performance vs hardware vs scripting features]
> >
> > While I've enjoyed being able to host several OSGrid regions on
> > minimal hardware up until now, I may have to ration what new features
> > are available in my regions or consider upgrading to more capable
> > hardware. I have the feeling others will also, and I suspect that the
> > prices some of the grid operators are offering will need to rise
> > unless they can successfully ration features as well.
>
> I agree with your concerns. Naturally as more demanding features are
> added and used, this will push hardware utilization limits.
>
> Are you suggesting a system for limiting the items below?

Possibly, and I believe some controls exist already in the land options. I
was more interested in initiating conversation about the hidden costs and
usefulness of these features and how so much development effort seems to be
going towards making sure everything is 100% SL compatible without regard to
the hidden costs. I realize 100%  compatibility is important to some and I
don't want to discourage it, especially if the code is being shared with the
rest of the community. What I personally don't want to see is an expectation
by anyone who teleports to every region that all their high resource
demanding (and possibly frivilous) attachments have to be supported at the
expense of the region owner. Currently the SL model *cannot* prevent
attachments from using resources no matter what the wishes of the region
owner may be, other than banning avatars. Along the same lines, an
expectation that scripts will continue to run when the region is not
occupied could also raise the expense of operating the region.

Given the increasing popularity of Opensim and the rate at which these
features are being implemented, I think now may be a good time to address
some of these concerns and also to attempt to influence user expectations if
some alternatives may provide a better experience at a lower cost.