[Opensim-dev] New Opensim features and minimum hosting hardware requirements

Mike Mazur mmazur at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 01:45:52 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 16:08:25 -0700
"Dahlia Trimble" <dahliatrimble at gmail.com> wrote:

> [Comments about OpenSim performance vs hardware vs scripting features]
>
> While I've enjoyed being able to host several OSGrid regions on
> minimal hardware up until now, I may have to ration what new features
> are available in my regions or consider upgrading to more capable
> hardware. I have the feeling others will also, and I suspect that the
> prices some of the grid operators are offering will need to rise
> unless they can successfully ration features as well.

I agree with your concerns. Naturally as more demanding features are
added and used, this will push hardware utilization limits.

Are you suggesting a system for limiting the items below?

> * How many scripts are continuously running in a region
>
> * How many scripts an avatar is allowed to have in attachments and
> how often they do expensive operations
>
> * How many prims are in a region and how complex they are

I'm sure such a system would be beneficial. Besides the performance
considerations, it would also grant region owners pretty fine grained
control over what they allow or disallow to occur in their regions.
That could be very useful.

(A real-life example of giving region owners control over their region
that comes to mind is giving cinemas the ability to block mobile phones
in the theater.)

Mike