[Opensim-dev] Re Justincc blog post: "Could there be a future without big grids? August 15, 2008"

Hart, Drew E. dehart at debevoise.com
Mon Aug 18 19:44:13 UTC 2008

I actually have 8 grids, with each grid running 8 servers.  No, I am not
rich, I am using cloud services, which are working quite well.  I rarely
have more than the basic 8 turned on (one server - landing regions for
each grid), and even then shut some off for periods to save money.
Right now it is behind a private wall, but I will be opening it up soon,
so if anyone is curious, I will add my grids to the grid list.  At any
rate, after reading the blog post I began wondering, and justincc does
deal with this -  Right now, all they share is registration.  I wrote
some scripts so that registration with one puts the user info in all the
databases.  Except for that, all 8 grids are separate.  Inspired by the
blog post, I started thinking if it would be possible to share some
resources, so that a user could have their inventory and user info
stored in one place (right now the php scripts just copy the same user
info to the 8 databases and each grid has their own set of UGAI).  I
suppose I could just try this, but do you think that would work?  If I
change the setup so that all 8 ini's point to the same inventory and
user server, but in all other regards they are separate?  Any
suggestions if it is more complex then that?  I am guessing it is more
complex than that.  If anyone has some suggestions on where to start
playing, I am happy to try it out.  Many thanks in advance,

Drew

Drew Hart, Technical Support Coordinator, Secretarial Services,
Debevoise & Plimpton LLP

*************************

PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL

This e-mail message is intended only for the use of the individual or
entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is
privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure.   If you are not
the intended recipient, please do not disseminate, distribute or copy
this communication, by e-mail or otherwise.  Instead, please notify us
immediately by return e-mail (including the original message in your
reply) and by telephone (you may call us collect in New York at
1-212-909-6000) and then delete and discard all copies of the e-mail.
Thank you.