[Opensim-dev] multiple, empty, root inventory folders

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 21 15:34:00 UTC 2008

Alan M Webb wrote:

> Charles
>
> I think you have captured the technical consequences of having multiple
> inventory roots, but to resolve the issue we need to properly understand
> the whys and wherefores of multiple roots. Why do avatars have multiple
> roots? what are the functional differentiators? I.e. why does it matter
> that we stop at the first? I was recently looking through the new
> inventory/capabilities code and had had the same thoughts as you
> expressed. It seems to me that there can be only one (apologies to the
> Highlander) root directory. Given the information that is in it, there
> is no reson for this directory to exist outside of an extant presence,
> and all of the other hierarchies should exist as (apparent) subordinates
> to this directory. This then raises questions of convenience as a result
> of having something that is an unnecessary empty layer for the majority
> of inventories where only one hierarchy exists; there are a number of
> ways to address that such as collapsing any monotonous hierarchies. I
> assume the overwhelmingly most important goal is that at the end of the
> day the inventory is complete, predictable, and unambiguous.

Multiple roots were the result of various code bugs.  I actually hope
now that we have these nailed, and that all the current multiple
inventories are now historical stock.

If this doesn't prove to be the case, I think it would be worth adding a
multiple inventory check on inventory service startup.  I'm loathe to
add anything more than this due to the code and startup cost, which
would only be going to counter a situation which should in theory never
occur.

> Best regards
> Alan
> -------------------
> T.J. Watson Research Center, Hawthorne, NY
> 1-914-784-7286
> alan_webb at us.ibm.com
>

> *Charles Krinke <cfk at pacbell.net>*
> Sent by: opensim-dev-bounces at lists.berlios.de
>
> 04/20/2008 06:56 PM
> Please respond to
> opensim-dev at lists.berlios.de

> 	opensim-dev <opensim-dev at lists.berlios.de>
> cc
>
> Subject
> 	[Opensim-dev] multiple, empty, root inventory folders
>

> The situation exists where a number of avatars have multiple root
> inventory folders on OSGrid, and I suspect on other grids as well. One
> of the implications is that this obscures the inventory as our search
> stops at the first root inventory folder it finds, that is the first one
> whose parentFolderId == zeroes.
>
> Having a query to identify and then remove completely empty root
> inventory folders might help make this situation better, but it involves
> a fairly complex mysql query that is currently beyond my abilities. I am
> hoping someone could help out a little here with a query that can be
> used to identify multiple root inventory folders in a grids mysql
> database and a query to would allow them to be deleted, perhaps one by
> one, that would be fine.
>
> This query involves finding all those avatars with inventoryfolders
> entries where more then one parentFolderID is zeroes.
>
>  >From there, it involves walking the subfolders (those folders pointing
> at each root folder whose parentFolderId is zeroes) and determining if
> any inventoryitems are pointing at any of those subfolders (Clothes,
> Objects, Trash, Scripts, Clothes, etc.).
>
> That would allow an identification of the scope of  the problem by a
> grid manager. From there a query to delete any that are empty, with what
> ever logical qualifiers might be useful.
>
> In any case, perhaps I have or have not diagnosed the problem correctly,
> and any suggestions are appreciated.

justincc
Justin Clark-Casey
http://justincc.wordpress.com