[Opensim-dev] multiple, empty, root inventory folders

Alan M Webb alan_webb at us.ibm.com
Mon Apr 21 11:37:23 UTC 2008

Charles

I think you have captured the technical consequences of having multiple
inventory roots, but to resolve the issue we need to properly understand
the whys and wherefores of multiple roots. Why do avatars have multiple
roots? what are the functional differentiators? I.e. why does it matter
that we stop at the first? I was recently looking through the new
inventory/capabilities code and had had the same thoughts as you
expressed. It seems to me that there can be only one (apologies to the
Highlander) root directory. Given the information that is in it, there is
no reson for this directory to exist outside of an extant presence, and
all of the other hierarchies should exist as (apparent) subordinates to
this directory. This then raises questions of convenience as a result of
having something that is an unnecessary empty layer for the majority of
inventories where only one hierarchy exists; there are a number of ways to
address that such as collapsing any monotonous hierarchies. I assume the
overwhelmingly most important goal is that at the end of the day the
inventory is complete, predictable, and unambiguous.

Best regards
Alan
-------------------
T.J. Watson Research Center, Hawthorne, NY
1-914-784-7286
alan_webb at us.ibm.com

Charles Krinke <cfk at pacbell.net>
Sent by: opensim-dev-bounces at lists.berlios.de
04/20/2008 06:56 PM
Please respond to
opensim-dev at lists.berlios.de

opensim-dev <opensim-dev at lists.berlios.de>
cc

Subject
[Opensim-dev] multiple, empty, root inventory folders

The situation exists where a number of avatars have multiple root
inventory folders on OSGrid, and I suspect on other grids as well. One of
the implications is that this obscures the inventory as our search stops
at the first root inventory folder it finds, that is the first one whose
parentFolderId == zeroes.

Having a query to identify and then remove completely empty root inventory
folders might help make this situation better, but it involves a fairly
complex mysql query that is currently beyond my abilities. I am hoping
someone could help out a little here with a query that can be used to
identify multiple root inventory folders in a grids mysql database and a
query to would allow them to be deleted, perhaps one by one, that would be
fine.

This query involves finding all those avatars with inventoryfolders
entries where more then one parentFolderID is zeroes.