[Opensim-dev] User/Agent/Avatar Was: Question on Avatar Appearance persistance

Michael Wright michaelwri22 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Apr 14 15:19:45 UTC 2008

Yup there is certainly division between the various layers , and I think at times we have all got confused about the different terms in opensim.

I think the general layout is something like:

Users - can have a account with authentication and profile data etc. We should offer support for anonymous users too (configurable, if it is enabled or not)

Agent- can be thought of  as the connection between the client and a region.  So the agent in the region, that contains the user's avatar, is called the root agent. But the client can  have child agents in the neighbouring regions. The agent connection is at the region level, so in opensim they "own/have" a ScenePresence that is its entity in the 3d world...

ScenePresence- they are the entities representing the agents in the 3d world, They have a position etc. The root agent's ScenePresence has/is a physical Avatar, so other users will see it. While the child agent's ScenePresence can be thought of ghost entities, that can see other avatars but can't be seen itself.

It is possible that some clients could be created that don't actually have any ScenePresences connected to their agents. And still allow things like textures to be uploaded or inventory to be managed. Or even messages broadcast into the 3d scene. Like maybe region Admin Clients.

I think that there has to be some decoupling between Users/Agents and Avatars. As yes for some cases you want to take the same avatar around everywhere with you but that is not always the case. As I said before some Games or whatever might want to give you a avatar for use in that application. So we just need to make sure we support the different cases. Also some 3d visualisation applications might not want any avatars, just all users having ghost entities.

OpenSim is not about creating one single type of metaverse. It is about creating a 3d multi user platform that various applications, including a global shared metaverse, can be built on top of.

Stefan Andersson <stefan at tribalmedia.se> wrote:    .hmmessage P { margin:0px; padding:0px } body.hmmessage { FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma }  Diva,

 the division of agent and avatar is definitively therere; you can have 'agents' in neighbouring regions that communicates changes in those regions, but these does not have avatars associated with them. Agents (both child and root) also has a 'camera' that is positioned in the regions.

 An agent needs no 'name' at all, but authentication credentials; an avatar needs no credentials, but has a 'name'.

 Technically, what a region needs is a (trusted) source to tell it to expect an agent connection with certain properties, then an agent that connects with those properties. It also needs to know where to fetch the information to send to that agent in response to agent requests. As OpenSim evolves, we will probably less and less assumptions regarding how this is organized and communicated.

 I was actually not discussing persistence at all; your comment about persistence being a burden is 100% right.

 When I say 'grid' I merely use a well-known term for 'resource discovery scope'.

 As I mentioned, the 'User' concept, and with it user profile, is (probably) out of scope and best left implemented somewhere else;

 but being able to separate agent login credentials from avatar name is definitively within scope.

 Also, my note was as a response to the current state of the region and user storage - I was merely trying to get us to take a (relatively) small step towards a more generic model; which would then let us work better with various authentication and naming schema. (For example, the one I'm working with now, which clearly needs separation between login credentials and avatar name)

 /Stefan