[Opensim-dev] Universal Avatar Question

Daedius daedius at daedius.com
Sat Apr 12 01:24:15 UTC 2008

Hey there Charles,

Thanks for posting this.  I would like to put out a call to grid
owners to help form the grid information services of the future.  I'm
one of the active developers of openviewer, and the more I work and
design, there more I feel the  NEED for more information from grid
owners! =)  I have a number of ideas that need the participation of
opensim.  Personally though, I believe this should be a project
outside of opensim.  Here are a few examples of things I foresee us
needing in the immediate future:

- ability to autoregister an avatar on a grid
- ability to get information about the grid: descriptions, image/icon,
tags of what type of content ( sex, language, interests, etc)
- ability to get some measure of lag between the client and server
- ability to get population and logged on information of avatars externally

These things COULD all be within opensim, but what I would like to do,
is create a new project.  I've started a project on google code called
"thirdlife" where I am going to focus my efforts on grid information
services.   If any of you all are grid owners, I'd like to get a hold
of you to try to figure out what information exactly you all are
looking to expose to users.  Thanks!

- Daedius