[Opensim-dev] avatar system or similar

Jani Pirkola jpirkola at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 19:54:56 UTC 2008

Hi all,

What happened to realXtend's "avatar system"? Is it being integrated
> with OpenSim?

realXtend avatar system is still being built further, things are being added
to it and bugs being fixed. realXtend server 0.2 is based on now quite old
version of OpenSim and we are now merging the newest OpenSim to realXtend
server. After the process we will have all the avatar system (as well as
everything else) as patches to current OpenSim, of course some of those
patches are not done in a way that they can be applied directly and I
clearly see that some refactoring is needed before they can be taken into
OpenSim.

We will put patches to mantis for review as it seems to be the best way to
get patches in. Hopefully after the process we will have the realXtend
avatar system integrated into OpenSim.

  From where I stand, that, or something like that, is a major
> architectural requirement for virtual worlds to get serious. Without the
> ability for people to get an identity+inventory that they can port
> around through different organization's grids, this is not going to be
> that useful. I see a lot of interest from organizations to set up their
> own virtual worlds under their control (so, their own grid'ed regions),
> but if people have to get accounts with them to visit, this is just not
> going to work for serious usages - period.

This is exactly how I see things as well. We are making serious effort to
make the avatar work in a usable and nice way for the people.

Jani Pirkola / realXtend