[Opensim-dev] avatar system or similar

Diva Canto diva at metaverseink.com
Thu Apr 10 17:39:15 UTC 2008

I also don't know much about the details of realXtend's design on this,
I only know the general goal.

My thoughts about this are as follows: we want organizations to control
who visits their regions, no question about that. There will be
organizations (like role-playing games, for example) that will require
accounts with them for people to play, and that's perfectly fine. This
also happens on the web: if you want to "play" in facebook, you need to
get an account with them.  But there will be organizations who will
welcome visits from accounts in other worlds, or accounts served from
"identity services", which don't exist yet. As I said, from where I
stand, I see this as a *major* need. I'm working with a lot of people
who want to use virtual worlds like that. They want to build useful
services in 3D, and they need people to visit. If people need to get
accounts with them, the whole idea stops in its tracks at the station --
or else they do it in Linden Lab's grid.

I don't see any need for *automatic* selection of one of several
possible accounts associated with a real world person -- that's a level
of sophistication that's unnecessary at this point and in the forseable
future. I think that goal is blurring the much simple things that can be
done relatively easily.

What I see  is the need for identity services that are independent of
any particular grid. Here's the usage scenario:

1. People get accounts with one (or more) identity services. For
example, I (Crista Lopes) get an account in an hypothetical identity
service provided by VeriSignVW; that account is called
crista at verisignvw.com. Besides my ID, VeriSigVW gives me storage space
for my crista at verisignvw.com inventory.
2. I login to some virtual world, say OSGrid, using that account. OSGrid
must accept avatars from VeriSignVW. Maybe OSGrid is more generic than
that; maybe it accepts accounts from any identity service that complies
with a standard ID protocol, TBD.
3. As I visit regions in OSGrid, all comms with inventory and user go to
VeriSignVW.
4. At some point I want to visit some other grid, say IBM's public grid.
I TP to it under my representation which is crista at verisignvw.com
5. The IBM grid must accept avatars from VeriSignVW. If it does, swoosh!
there I go. If it doesn't, I can't TP to it. I must logout, and login
under some IBM account. The extra work of automatically selecting
between my VeriSignVW account and my IBM account is completely
unnecessary at this point. I can do that manually. But having the
ability to surf under one single account between grids that accept that
3rd-party accounts is a major step forward.