[Opensim-dev] avatar system or similar

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Thu Apr 10 16:05:36 UTC 2008

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 08:50:33AM -0700, Diva Canto wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What happened to realXtend's "avatar system"? Is it being integrated
> with OpenSim?

Short answers.  I don't know, and no.  The process for code coming into
OpenSim is to put a patch in mantis.  I haven't seen any proposed
patches in this area in mantis.

>  From where I stand, that, or something like that, is a major
> architectural requirement for virtual worlds to get serious. Without the
> ability for people to get an identity+inventory that they can port
> around through different organization's grids, this is not going to be
> that useful. I see a lot of interest from organizations to set up their
> own virtual worlds under their control (so, their own grid'ed regions),
> but if people have to get accounts with them to visit, this is just not
> going to work for serious usages - period.

Hence you've created the paradox. :)

 * We want everything connected
 * We don't want to trust a single authoritative source for info
   (otherwise you'd be on Second Life)

Honestly, this is a hard problem to solve, and one that seems a bit
beyond the current scope.  That being said, implementations and research
in this area which work with OpenSim are always welcomed.

> I understand there's a ton of stability work to be done, but this
> particular architectural decision is really important, even
> (especially?) at this early stage; we all trust stability will happen
> over time.
> Is there anything that I can do to boost the efforts in that direction,
> besides sending this email?

Sample peer based User services that allow cross talk would be useful.
The moral equivalent of OpenID for virtual worlds (because you need more
than just what openid provides).

     -Sean