[Opensim-dev] Thoughts on UUID

Dr Scofield DrScofield at xyzzyxyzzy.net
Thu Apr 10 10:04:48 UTC 2008

Sean Dague wrote:
> One of the things that I ran into today is how many places LLUUID ends
> up in our code base from libsecondlife.  While not always a problem it
> does lead to some oddness.
>
>  * libsecondlife is a required link for lots of classes that just need a
>    UUID
>  * LLUUID is not serializable, which causes us some pain

it's become serializable again, at least jradford checked that
yesterday/today.
>  * LLUUID has changed a couple of times in the past, causing us grief
>
> It seems like it would be a good idea to replace LLUUID as much as
> possible with our own OSUUID (I put a sample in
> OpenSim/Framework/OSUUID.cs).  It would look very similar to LLUUID
> (which is basically just a wrapper on System.Guid), but be
> [Serializable].  It would also mean that we could drop a lot of
> libsecondlife references.  I think that would be required for Stefan's
> OpenSim.Model idea.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> This will be a lot of work if we decide to do it, and a couple of days
> of brutal instability to do a swap out like this, as we can't get rid of
> LLUUID entirely (we need it when we get to packet generation I think).

do you want to get rid of libsl entirely? if not, i think it's not such
a hot idea, i'm afraid we might end up basically forking libsl.

it seems to me that the libsl folks have been responsive so far and
we've gotten the changes through that were needed (e.g.,
AssetType.Primitive -> Object, add serializable attribute back to
LLUUID, PPC changes).

    cheers,
    dirk

--
dr dirk husemann, mathmatics and computer science, ibm zurich research lab
SL: dr scofield ---- drscofield at xyzzyxyzzy.net ---- http://xyzzyxyzzy.net/