[Opensim-dev] UC Irvine Seminar on Virtual Worlds report

Charles Krinke cfk at pacbell.net
Wed Apr 9 19:25:53 UTC 2008

I attended the "Virtual Worlds: Innovating and Investing in the Metaverse" seminar last night at UC Irvine.

There were about 60 people there and the panel included Prof. Crista Lopes, Christian Renaud (Cisco, via secondlife, projector and speakerphone), Denis Browne fro SAP Labs showing remote control and monitoring of a RL building connected to an SL model and Mary Ellen Gordon from Market Truths (market research firm).

There were investors, press, faculty and industry representatives and the discussion was lively and well received.

It got me thinking about some of the perceptions I had not consideredin the rush of creating OpenSim and OSGrid. Particularly interestingwas the anthropology professors discussion of how virtual worlds mayaffect users as programmers make decisions about how things work.

Languagesupport, friends lists, the whole personal interaction is something weneed to ensure their is sufficient flexibility to that adopters ofOpenSim can tailor it to their needs.

Also interesting was thediscussion of the building remote monitoring and control using an httpinterface between the client, sim and and external web site.

Charles