[Opensim-dev] Perl vs C# UGAI?

Michael Wright michaelwri22 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Apr 3 13:26:58 UTC 2008

Yup, I'm all for alternative UGAI's, although I certainly don't want to see a perl version becoming the standard one. But at this time we really only want one version in svn, otherwise no one will work on grid protocols due to breaking things.

 Most of us aren't really perl programmers and as has been said before by one of the developers "I signed up for c#". We need svn to be what most of the developers feel happy working on. I'm also very likely to break Grid protocols/servers over the next few weeks compared to how they are now, and have no plans on changing the perl version. So while I support it and think its a good thing that there is such a version, it really should be in a separate svn.

Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> wrote: On Thu, Apr 03, 2008 at 01:28:19PM +0100, Melanie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> to me, the apache-based UGAI seems like a light at the end of the
> tunnel, finally there is a way to create a UGAI that is not all
> custom stuff, where one bad request can't kill the grid dead, where
> restarting is easy, and load balancing is, as well.
>
> Taking it out of SVN means relegating it to a backseat, where
> changes in it can be made by only it's creator. Developer feedback
> would be low to nonexistent. It would totally preclude it becoming
> the "standard" UGAI, replacing the C# ones.
>
> I say, leave it in there and let people vote with their feet! I
> never felt comfortable with the C# UGAI, and I'm happy this has
> finally appeared.
>
> Some here have written alternative UGAI, but never much publicized
> that. Now someone does, and it sparks up a whole big controversy.
> Some people don't trust the C# UGAI, so why is there a desire to
> make it appear that those are the only option?

I like the idea of alternative UGAI, but given that Grid Comms are far
from stabalized, we'll probably have much more responsive
implementations if they aren't in tree.  Honestly, I suspect I'll break
Grid Comms a couple of times this month (I know at least one place that
I've got to break it in the next couple of days), and that's just me.

I think having UGAI services elsewhere actually will let people be more
responsive to those changes.

     -Sean