[Opensim-dev] Perl vs C# UGAI?

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Thu Apr 3 12:47:28 UTC 2008

On Thu, Apr 03, 2008 at 01:28:19PM +0100, Melanie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> to me, the apache-based UGAI seems like a light at the end of the
> tunnel, finally there is a way to create a UGAI that is not all
> custom stuff, where one bad request can't kill the grid dead, where
> restarting is easy, and load balancing is, as well.
>
> Taking it out of SVN means relegating it to a backseat, where
> changes in it can be made by only it's creator. Developer feedback
> would be low to nonexistent. It would totally preclude it becoming
> the "standard" UGAI, replacing the C# ones.
>
> I say, leave it in there and let people vote with their feet! I
> never felt comfortable with the C# UGAI, and I'm happy this has
> finally appeared.
>
> Some here have written alternative UGAI, but never much publicized
> that. Now someone does, and it sparks up a whole big controversy.
> Some people don't trust the C# UGAI, so why is there a desire to
> make it appear that those are the only option?

I like the idea of alternative UGAI, but given that Grid Comms are far
from stabalized, we'll probably have much more responsive
implementations if they aren't in tree.  Honestly, I suspect I'll break
Grid Comms a couple of times this month (I know at least one place that
I've got to break it in the next couple of days), and that's just me.

I think having UGAI services elsewhere actually will let people be more
responsive to those changes.

     -Sean