[Opensim-dev] 3rd party libs and build system revisited

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Fri Sep 28 20:18:51 UTC 2007

On Fri, Sep 28, 2007 at 12:59:59PM -0700, dan miller wrote:
> you folks should look at how ODE organizes their build environment.
>
> They have a ./configure make etc. setup for 'nix developers, and that is the
> standard build.
>
> Then they have some folders with project files for VS2003, VS2005 etc.
>
> This seems to work even with their latest subversion checkouts.  I have no
> idea how they maintain it.
>
> www.ode.org
>

> Also maybe I'm not understanding things, but if prebuild is good for
> generating vsproj &/| .sln files, and nant is good for everything else, why
> not call prebuild from nant, instead of the other way around?

That would also be an option, to check in the nant files and only use
prebuild for VS generation.  That would currently require updating both
prebuild.xml and nant files when files were added or moved, which is a
little less than ideal, but would start moving us in the right
direction.

Ideally there would be a nant target to natively take nant files and
make MS project files, but that doesn't appear to exist anywhere.
Anyone that would write that would be my hero, as it would let us have
our cake and eat it too. :)

    -Sean