[Opensim-dev] thought on opensim content library - "packages"...

Dalien Talbot dalienta at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 19:07:23 UTC 2007

On 9/24/07, Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> wrote:

> I think that is a quite good idea, it actually somewhat meshes with
> something I was thinking about this weekend around having region
> packages, to make it easy to bundle up regions and share them with your
> friends.
>
> I think we should think about the whole thing in a slightly larger
> content of:
>
> * Regions
> * Prims
> * Textures
> * Assets
>
> Where it would be easy to bundle up one or more of these into some sort
> of package which was loaded into the environment on startup.  Being able
> to export a current environment like this would help with the case where
> I sent danx0r my environment so he could figure out the grass colision
> issue, and would also make for the easiest way to dupe your world for a
> friend.

Hmm, but if you need just to dupe the environment for the friend - at least
in the current standalone edition - that's quite easy - just tar the
datafiles and then send them over..  (or, for other databases, this would
probably mean making the dump of the entire tables).

I think the export of the part of the inventory and export of the part of
the environment are similar to an extent that in both cases one would need
to fetch also some dependent elements - but but the handling would be quite
different.

Although, now that I think of it - the inventory transfer functions might be
also interesting for my "idee fixe" of crosslinked standalone sims...
(even though the proper handling of that one would be touching the questions
of identity, for specifics of which I am not ready at this point :)

/d