[Opensim-dev] questions on libterrain

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Thu Oct 25 21:37:44 UTC 2007

I started digging into the bowls of the terrain code, and could use some
help in understanding, as there is a lot of bits that aren't adding up,
especially on a 4x2 region sim.

First off, what is our .raw format?  ufraw couldn't load it in Linux.

Secondly, I attempted to create a .png file and user load-tile img
.... to get terrain.  While it did fill the internal land buffers
correctly, it put all land flat at 19m below ocean level.  No manner of
modding to that file seemed to change that result.

load and save currently don't act too happy when handling data for a
multiregion area, which ends up corrupting the internal height buffers,
and killing all future terrain commands.  This seems like a bad
different issue.

I'd like to get this cleaned up a bit both for personal understanding,
and to have a lot less of the terrain commands throw exceptions. :)

Any first thoughts here would be great.  I also think this is a target
rich environment to extend Tleiades NUnit integration as a lot of the
libterrain commands could be unit tested out of band of the main opensim
server.

	-Sean