[Opensim-dev] so many dll's, so little time

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Wed Oct 17 15:03:21 UTC 2007

On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 04:33:20PM +0200, Tleiades Hax wrote:

> > Also we will still need to use XML-RPC for login, as thats what the client
> > uses.
> >

> I agree that a HTTP may be too slow for inter region, physics and script
> comms, and also agree on the REST for the rest (pun sort of intended), but
> ... to my knowledge we will - eventually - only need one method which
> supports XML-RPC, namely the login message, method used by the viewer.

Hopefully, that too will become REST based on the AWG work.  Though
thats a bunch of months off.

> I think that including an external library for the sake this single method
> is overkill, inclusion of the library will - however slightly - increase the
> load of work we have to do on the build system, and will be one more
> component which potentially can fail to built correctly.
>
> If I am correct in my belief that we will only need to use XML-RPC in that
> single place, I suggest we get rid of any external libs, which is dedicated
> to that goal.

I'm not sure that I understand the option here.  Are you proposing to
write your own XML-RPC implementation for login?  XML-RPC is managed
code right, is there any reason that isn't intrinsically cross platform
already (or did I miss that part)?

      -Sean