[Opensim-dev] Micropayment

Michael Wright michaelwri22 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Nov 14 18:34:12 UTC 2007

 This is what I mean, every one, will have different requirements. So we can't really possible implement them all, as part of the core opensim project. And as opensim has a flexible module system (that hopefully will get more flexible with time) , then people will implement the systems they want (or find a already written system that suits them).

It is not (certainly at this time) part of the focus of the opensim project, but we aim to provide a platform, that is easy for people to add a system to, that suits their needs. We have a lot of other things to work on with few programmers to work on them. Without trying to work on such a ill-defined moving target as a payment system. But as Sean said, if someone wanted to work with us on implementing a system, and as long as it was done in a way that someone could swap it for a different system, then we would welcome them joining us.

So no, I never said, that just because a system might be insecure in some setup, that it should never be wrote. I said that as there are so many different ways of doing it, and a lot of people will have their own requirements and as opensim is meant to be a base for people to base their systems on, then the likely result is that various systems will be built. And if the writers of those systems release them to other people, then when creating some application based on opensim, you will pick the system that best suits you (or write your own). Opensim is not a SL clone, neither can it possible have every possible implementation of something. It is meant to be a platform that people can use and extend to fit their needs.

But I really do see most payment systems as really outside the scope of OpenSim (at this time). To write a system. for say a multi-player game using the current SL protocols should be quite a easy thing to do. Something that anyone thinking about adapting opensim to be used for a game should fully be able to do with no problem. (depending on how they manage their servers and how secure they want it)

As I said, LL are also looking into changing their currency system as part of opening up their grid. So there is no point us at this time, even thinking about tying ourselves to one system. For all we know when LL do make these changes (which if I understand it are like I said earlier where the region server will be cut out the transaction process) then they might remove support for the old messages/system from the client.

Aldon Hynes <Aldon.Hynes at Orient-Lodge.com> wrote:
Likewise, from a business perspective in seems  essential.  I could easily foresee myself running a very open grid where  anyone could connect their regions and the currency in that grid would be  meaningless, while at the same time, running a much more tightly controlled grid  where I could verify the region operators and feel confident that the money in  that grid has real meaning