[Opensim-dev] Micropayment

Aldon Hynes Aldon.Hynes at Orient-Lodge.com
Wed Nov 14 14:02:47 UTC 2007

Ezekiel, Sean,

   I do hope I'm not being dismissed as a 'marketing guy'.  I've been trying
to keep the discussion of how finances are handled in OpenSim on a technical
level.  I initially brought it up in terms of how we handle authentication
as a response to a suggestion of dealing with anonymous users.  As we looked
more closely at it, I tried to focus particularly on how money is handle in
scripts since that seems to be the real key do commerce in Second Life and
hence is likely to be key in OpenSim as well.

   When I connect to my OpenSim grid, I see that I have 1000 dollars.  I've
looked at the database schema, and I don't see where that is stored.  It
would seem as if it ought to be in the users table.  However, I don't know
enough about the entity relationships to know if it would be better off in
one of the other folders.  In addition, I'm not well enough acquainted with
the code, or the data abstraction layer at this point, to have a good view
of how to approach modifying the schema.

   I also scanned through the code, but I couldn't find the section of code
where the number of dollars that a user has is communicated back and forth
between the server to the client.

   All of that said, I think Ezekiel is right.  I've worked on too many
projects in the past were an important part of functionality is not
considered early on and it becomes a mess trying to shoehorn that
functionality in later.  In my mind, the currency component is one of those
pieces of functionality I would hate to see shoehorned in at the last
minute.

   So, I do hope that we maintain a good threat about the currency and not
simply dismiss it because of potential non-technical issues.

Aldon