[Opensim-dev] Incompatibilities between libsl 0.2 and 0.3

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Thu Nov 8 11:53:22 UTC 2007

On Thu, Nov 08, 2007 at 08:01:09AM +0100, Tleiades Hax wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am trying to do the changes required in opensim in order to be
> compatible with libsl 0.3.
>
> One of the nastier changes they have done is that "TickCount" in the
> Packet class is marked "internal", which means that opensim cannot
> reference that property. TickCount is used in
> ClientView.PacketQueue.cs to help manage packet acks.
>
> <philosophy>
> I think the basic problem stems from the fact that the primary
> thinking in the libsl team is "replacement viewer" which means that
> packets and comms are focused on the client side, and opensim is
> thinking "replacement grid/region", which means that packets and comms
> are focused on the server side.
> </philosophy>
>
> The short story is, what should/could have been a simple exercise,
> suddenly has turned nasty, I see to ways forward:
> 1) change libsl, and talk with the libsl team to *not" mark TickCount
> as internal,

OpenSim is a pretty reasonably sized user of libsl.  I would just post
to the libsl list with a set of issues you've found with 0.3, and ask if
those things could be changed to get a 0.3.1 that will work with
OpenSim.  Especially if it is just visibility of attributes.  As long as
you act nice and polite, people are usually ammenable to being nice
back. :)

It would be nice to have a rev in tree that is a real libsl version, and
one that supports 64bit, and one that we can tell people which version
it is.  The current random pull from August has caused a lot of grief
for a lot of people.

    -Sean