[Opensim-dev] Revising the grid standards (Part II -Implementation details)

Tleiades Hax tleiades at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 07:34:34 UTC 2007

First let me say that an IRC gateway and a "Jabber" gateway would be two
nice things. I don't know if they should be part of the core though, unless
we decided to use one or the other as the core messaging protocol.

Besides the issues mentioned already mentioned, I'd like to point out that
XMPP is not that common and well known on the internet compared to HTTP,
which I believe speaks in favor of HTTP and REST. Both in terms of getting
delvelopers on this project, but also in a future adoption of our
implementation.

Having said that, I think XMPP offers some very interesting possiblities for
handling scalability via message re routing.

> it
> is very hard to get the performance you want out of most of the
> implementations. the handshake protocols required to set up message
> dialogs can be pretty heavy. (but i'm VERY happy that we would consider
> XMPP for instant messaging)

Currently I see a lot of connects/disconnects being done, which really
doesn't have to happen. E.g. currently connections between gridserver and
regions are established for each transition between region. We could do away
with a lot of the connection costs. So in a welldesigned app, the question
is how hard this will impact us.

> having said that... could we also open the discussion about what set of
> functions is inherently part of the architecture & what are peripheral?
>
> > * User Services [grouped together]
> > ** Profile Retrieval
> > ** Instant Messaging                  --> Move to client?
> > ** Inventory Handling                 --> Move to client?
> >       * List Inventory                --> Move to client?
> >       * Rez Inventory Item            --> Move to client?
>
> Can you define move to client? in this context?

I think having clientside code, would be a boon to this project, doing that
we could arrange for personal assets, profile and inventory which would
persist between grids.

We could go even further than that, and use SLProxy to switch protocols, eg.
viewer communicates with SLProxy, SLProxy translates to XMPP and all OSGrid
is XMPP or what ever we like. I have heard that SLProxy introduces lag, but
the question is, how much of that is due to the implementation, and how much
is due to the additional layer?.

/tleiades