[Opensim-users] need some help with a migration to new servers

Thomas Ringate tringate at gmail.com
Sat May 27 19:00:59 UTC 2023

I believe I made a huge mistake many years ago when I decided to split
the databases of my regions into individual region, and a shared estate
databases for each server.

It has worked fine for many years, but now the equipment has come to end
of life and I'm moving things to new servers.

The simple solution would be if the region database and the estate
database can be merged together as if I had never had a common estate
database for each region running on a specific server?

I'm not able to do a direct one for one swap for each server. I'm going
down to fewer servers since hardware has become much more powerful from
what it was back in 2010 when all of this was originally set up.

Some regions I really don't have an issue with, but I have several large
VAR regions with many parcels, each given to a different resident, and
each parcel has it's own group, to control permissions for that parcel.
I suspect much of this information is contained in the "estate" database.

I've moved the regions that were not setup with a split region/estate
database with no issues. I saved the hard part to last.

The migration is with MySQL databases, from Linux machines to window
machines.

Any suggestions on how to do this would be appreciated.

I don't think I can use the nightly backups of the OAR files since I do
not believe that would preserve the parcels, and the other estate kinds
of information.  Everything is deeded to each parcels group. This is all
running on OSgrid.