[Opensim-users] Requested wiki access

Dahlia Trimble dahliatrimble at gmail.com
Sun May 14 06:45:27 UTC 2023

Impressive video on that site you linked.

Is your intent to be compatible with both Second Life and Opensimulator?
How are you communicating PBR parameters with the server? I did the
original Materials implementation in OpenSimulator but left the project
several years ago and I'm not aware of the current state of that code, but
I remember the protocol at the time should have been easily extended to add
more parameters without requiring changes to the server code. I wonder if
this is still the case and/or if it might work that way in Second Life as
well? Of course if you wanted to extend it it would probably be best to do
it with LL's inputs and blessings.

If you aren't concerned with SL compatibility and are overwhelmed with the
complexity of the LL protocols, it can be easier to add new protocols to
OpenSimulator via a "region module" but then again you would probably want
to consult with Ubit first. There's probably quite a few reasons why he
might like or dislike such an approach.

I did quite a bit of work on from-scratch viewers during my time in the
project. Unfortunately I never got to the part of varregion terrains or
sizes so I can't comment about your questions in your other message.
However I did solve quite a few other problems so if you get stuck or want
to compare implementation ideas, feel free to contact me.

Nice to see the results of the work you've done so far. Best of luck with
it!

-D