[Opensim-users] opensim can't connect to MySQL

tringate at gmail.com tringate at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 22:07:36 UTC 2022

Need help again.  This time it's with MySQL on windows 10.

I have a fair amount of experience with MySQL  on Linux and a little with it on windows.  I have real problems understanding windows and the workbench program for MySQL.
Phpmyadmin is so much simpler to use for me.

My problem is I have V 8.0.13.0 (2018) of MySQL running on my desktop computer and it is working just fine.
I a new region running just fine on OSgrid using the built in MySQLlite that comes with opensim but want to use a more robust database than that.
The version I installed of MySQL on this system is V 8.0.29.0 (2022).

I can't see any difference in my setup between the two systems, but opensim fails with the following error when it tries to access the database.
2022-04-26 16:24:00,252 ERROR [SERVICE BASE]: Failed to load plugin OpenSim.Region.Framework.Interfaces.ISimulationDataStore from OpenSim.Data.MySQL.dll with args Data Source=localhost;Database=osg-romantica;User ID=*****;Password=******;Old Guids=true;SslMode=None;
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlException: Authentication method 'caching_sha2_password' not supported by any of the available plugins.

The configuration line for MySQL in both systems is identical with the exception of the database name.

ConnectionString = "Data Source=localhost;Database=osg-romantica;User ID=*****;Password=*****;Old Guids=true;SslMode=None;"

I have tried using both the above line with and without the SslMode=None; parameter and it makes no difference.

Before I see if installing the older version fixes it I wanted to ask if I'm missing something new in the workbench program that I need to do to define the server and it's parameters.

Slow Putzo