[Opensim-users] Virtual World Voice

Seth Nygard sethnygard at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 22:56:25 UTC 2021

Mumble is indeed a viable option but you are correct that it does need work.

There is an old project, dating back to 2009, that was re-vitalized a
couple of years ago.  A proof-of-concept was done, using some updated
code, a couple of years ago in an effort to bring it more up to date but
it proved just how much technical debt existed even though it was a
working solution.  Since that proof-of-concept, work has been put into
modernizing a solution, with the majority of the architecture design
already done.

There is a concerted effort being put into bringing a Mumble based
solution to Open Simulator, using the most recent version of  the Mumble
client and server.  This is being done under the Echo Voice project from
IMA (Infinite Metaverse Aliance)

I am the developer currently working on the client side code, where the
bulk of the work is required.  Development of native solutions for
Windows and Linux are the first step, with Mac versions planned later.

-Seth

On 2021-06-08 4:15 p.m., Asaff Belfer wrote:
> As sad as I am to say this but there is no other solution. I've looked for
> it and there is nothing like vivox at the moment.
>
> We are currently using Freeswitch. I've done a bit of research on Mumble
> and I think that it has the potential to be a replacement but it needs
> development to fit into the client side.
>
> Asaff

> בלי
> וירוסים. www.avast.com
>
> On Tue, Jun 8, 2021 at 9:31 PM Thomas GARCIA <thomas.garcia at simeduc.fr>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> i just recieved a mail from Unity. That's announce the end of the vivox
>> service in the next months.
>>
>> I tried Freeswitch and Mumble without success.
>>
>> Do you know if there is an other solution (even if this is not free) ?
>>
>> Thank you for your help.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Thomas.

- Seth