[Opensim-users] use of C# in scripts

Serendipity Seraph seren.seraph at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 21:07:11 UTC 2019

Uh, I have been in SL since 2004 and I never saw much of anything in the
way of tech support for users except various forums and websites, many user
run in no small part.  And back in the day a wandering Linden or two.  So
they are not and as far as I know have not invested much in tech support
for users.  Most things the users figured out for themselves just as the
built almost all the content.

R&D perhaps in the old days and perhaps for Sansar which no one who has
been in this a long time that I know of really wants.  That it is PC only
doesn't help.  That it takes away some of the hack it together yourself
inworld is not good either.  Back in the day there was some real SL
research including hypergrid like functionality which they then nixed and
an web viewer project which I used.  It was not bad.  But also shelved for
some bizarre reason.

And their monolithic server archiceture could learn a LOT from opensim.
 Opening up to hypergrid would breathe a lot of life into it.  Bringing
down the price of land superciliously would come with that.  Server costs
could drop with a bring your own server into the grid (a la osgrid but more
proprietary) could lower their internal costs a lot.  If they needed more
money then charge monthly fees for various levels of service from free up.
Let the users that made ti great to start with lay hands on more parts of
their own infrastructure and destiny at whatever level of skill or buying
stuff others built they have.

Some things are VERY low hanging fruit like a scriptable inventory system
so ways of managing that crap that make much better sense can be done.  And
the old User, Assets, etc server architecture and communication protocols
to/from them are an abomination relative to modern practices.  I would love
to see a NoSQL db for some of this and nothing but json protocol or better
to/from these things.

Even in OpenSim there seems to be a hidebound conservatism for changing all
that much without doing a fork.  This includes a fear from what i hear of
even cleaning up and refactoring the rather old-school C# style used.  I
think a lot more really good hackers would get a lot more done if that was
not so.  Perhaps a hard fork under more liberal administration would be a
good thing?  Dunno.  Not deep enough into that side of things to understand
how much of a problem there is and what can be done.