[Opensim-users] Are unused assets deleted? (Fred Beckhusen)

Ethan Gardener eekee57 at fastmail.fm
Wed Sep 26 06:04:43 UTC 2018

On Mon, Aug 27, 2018, at 1:47 PM, Haravikk wrote:

> >> This shouldn't be the case; any properly indexed database should have
> >> roughly constant, or at worst logarithmic, access times for data.
> >
> > *sigh* "Logarithmic" is another way of saying "exponential'.  It is not a trivial matter unless the data set is comparatively small.  In asking about these things, I'm particularly thinking of InWorldz, where asset data was growing at a terabyte a month.  Not small.
>
> Logarithmic complexity isn't the same as exponential complexity, in fact
> it's the opposite; logarithmic complexity plateaus as the search space
> increases, meaning it effectively becomes constant time, an algorithm
> with exponential complexity would grow by a power of the search space
> size (e.g- the search time might quadruple each time the search space
> doubles in size). See here:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logarithmic_growth
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logarithmic_growth>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exponential_growth
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exponential_growth>

Oh I'm sorry, I was reasoning from a bad premise.  I later remembered I regularly use a program which has logarithmic search time.  (It's not even a database, it's the grep command in Plan 9 from Bell Labs.)  Thanks for your explanations.

This leaves the problem as an even bigger puzzle to me, I don't think I can even begin to reason on possible causes.  Perhaps I should just leave it at this, as I'm reducing my involvement in virtual worlds for personal reasons anyway.  (I'm taking up programming instead.  Maybe in a few years, I'll have something to offer. :)

--
The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne. -- Chaucer