[Opensim-users] LSL HTTP server is slow (part II)

Tom Frost tomfrost at linkwater.org
Fri Jan 15 21:21:05 UTC 2016

Hi Jeff,

On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 03:45:50AM +0100, Jeff Kelley wrote:
> At 9:50 AM +0100 1/15/16, Tom Frost wrote:
>
> >Out of curiosity, how well does this scale? I remember in SL there was a
> >limit to the number of URL's a resident can have (38 from
> >http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LSL_http_server#Resource_Limitations),
> >which implies that url's don't scale that well in SL. How does the http
> >server in opensim scale?
>
> In opensim, in a region with no url allocated, llGetFreeURLs() returns 100.
>
> In a real app, you probably don't want to manage as many. Rather
> one, and dispatch commands via chat or MessageLinked.

Thanks. Wouldn't dispatching commands coming in from http over chat and
MessageLinked make things slow again?

I must say, i've never considered using incoming http requests. The
in-world scripts I made that need interaction outside of the sim are
low-frequency and generally pull-based.

Curious to see though, where you're endeavours are going to lead :)

- Tom