[Opensim-users] Script errors in opensim V0.9.0

Thomas Ringate tringate at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 01:27:25 UTC 2016

Recently in opensim version 0.9.0 I started getting script errors, (the little yellow triangle above the object).

This is the error that prints in the script error box in red:

Object: System.MissingMethodException: Method 'String.Format' not found.
  at OpenSim.Region.ScriptEngine.Shared.Instance.ScriptSerializer.WriteTypedValue (System.Xml.XmlDocument doc, System.Xml.XmlNode parent, System.String tag, System.String name, System.Object value) <0x4061cf40 + 0x00207> in <filename unknown>:0
  at OpenSim.Region.ScriptEngine.Shared.Instance.ScriptSerializer.Serialize (OpenSim.Region.ScriptEngine.Shared.Instance.ScriptInstance instance) <0x4061bc40 + 0x00323> in <filename unknown>:0
  at OpenSim.Region.ScriptEngine.Shared.Instance.ScriptInstance.SaveState () <0x4061a1b0 + 0x00227> in <filename unknown>:0
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) OpenSim.Region.ScriptEngine.Shared.Instance.ScriptInstance:SaveState ()
  at OpenSim.Region.ScriptEngine.Shared.Instance.ScriptInstance.EventProcessorInt () <0x40609000 + 0x01063> in <filename unknown>:0
[...]

This error was created by simply creating a box, making a script in the box, and then adding the variables being defined at the top.  This problem does not happen in opensim release V0.8.3, and did not occur in the early on releases of V0.9.0

Since I have not used release V0.9.0 because of the many issues with it on my regions on OSgrid, I only discovered this problem when adding a empty test region to my OSgrid and ran the latest release.

Almost all my scripted objects throw errors.  I doubt all of those scripts broke at the same time.

I tried to find what was causing the errors in my scripts at first but discovered it was about everything in the script that would cause this kind of error.

I tried this example to see how little I could add before it failed.  It makes no sense to me at all why adding variable defines would suddenly throw script errors.

Here is the simple script that is throwing the error;

//==== G L O B A L   V A R I A B L E   D E C L A R A T I O N ====

integer xlimit; // region size limit
integer ylimit; // region size limit
integer    gRun; //Engine status
integer gGuard = 3; // the distance to detect the edge of the region boundary
string    gDrivingAnim = "motorcycle_sit"; // sit animation for the jet ski
vector    gSitTarget_Pos = <-0.43,0.03,0.69>; // sit position (will need to be adjusted for your jet ski)
vector    vTarget; // vehicle position
key        gAgent; // the key for the siting avatar
float    fWaterLevel; //region water level
float    gSpeed = 35.0; // forward speed of the jet ski
float    gForwardThrust; // variable for forward thrust
float    gReverseThrust = -15; // reverse thrust which is it's reverse speed
float    gTurnMulti=1.012345; // used for the AngularMotor
float    gTurnRatio; // used for the AngularMotor

default
{
    state_entry()
    {
        llSay(0, "Script running");
    }
}

It should be noted that the scripts compile fine, and run fine.  But it looks like crap having yellow triangles above all of the objects because it is reporting script errors.

I do you a less than mainstream viewer in that I run the “cool vl” viewer.  I have been using that viewer now for a few years with excellent success.  I have no idea if this could be a viewer issue or not.

Has anyone else run into anything like this?

Tom