[Opensim-users] Opensim-users Digest, Vol 19, Issue 1

Erik Gordon Bainbridge tamrider at frodo.tv
Fri Oct 2 21:10:24 UTC 2015

Doug, thank you for your advice.  This has been a really tough decision for me.  I haven't found any solid information about this, so getting the benefit of your experience is a definite help.

There are two related questions I'm wondering about.

1. Is a hyperthreaded Xeon E3 or E5 CPU with hyperthreading turned off in BIOS at any disadvantage compared with a non-hyperthreaded member of the same family?

2. Do you have any opinion about using a six core Xeon (E5-2630 v2)?  A dual CPU system is out of the question for me because of its power consumption.

I appreciate any replies.  I've been putting a lot of time into researching how best to build my new server but haven't been coming up with much solid information to go by about hyperthreading except for Doug's reply.

Erik/Apollo