[Opensim-users] ReleaseOSgrid 0.9.0.0 (Dev) 5e4b166: 2015-11-23shutdown problems

Tom Frost tomfrost at linkwater.org
Thu Nov 26 17:35:42 UTC 2015

Hello Thomas,

While i vehemently agree that being able to run linux opensim servers is very much desired, you are aware that 0.9.0.0 is still an unreleased version of opensim, right?

With opensim as a whole being classified as 'alpha' unreleased versions are even more experimental than an alpha release.

Mono itself isn't the most stable platform either. I can't run opensim on any mono version available onfreebsd for example.

Nor can i use the wifi on my new laptop with any of the current 'stable' branches of the linux kernel.

This is the ecosystem of open source. Complex constellations of various versions of incompatible software maintained by lots of different teams. And when something breaks, it obviously always is the other project's fault.

I couldn't run opensim (an actually releases version) on my linux box a few months ago. Turned out a kernel upgrade broke something. Was it the kernel? Was it ubuntu's modifications to the kernel? Was it mono? Was it opensim? I don't know but something was fixed and without updating opensim i can now run it on the latest linux kernel and mono version that is default on my distro.

The bottom line is: if no one cares enough about the isdue to do the work of debugging and finding out whic project is yo blame, it won't get done no matter how much you complain.

No-one gives a rats ass about me not being able to use the wifi under linux on my new laptop. So unless i want to go in and debug this myself i just need to find a workaround. Get a usb wifi dongle that is supported for example.

And if no one cares about not being able to run opensim on freebsd, i either fix it (wouldn't know where to start) or find a work-around. Obviously, when the workaround (running opensim on linux) fails to work as well and i don't care enough to fix it myself, i will shrug, exit the opensim stage and move on to one of the new and hip platforms.

Anyway, i do think there are enough people to care about opensim on linux to prevent that fron becoming a reality. I'm confident that when distro's start installing 4.x versions of mono by default, issues will be fixed. But supporting all the variants of mono that are out there now, and behave differently on various major fronts, it's expected that the priority is to have opensim work well with common versions of mono.

Rather lengthy post, don't know how that happened :)

Cheers,

Tom