[Opensim-users] Conversion to VAR region (UNCLASSIFIED)

Maxwell, Douglas CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US) douglas.maxwell3.civ at mail.mil
Mon Nov 9 16:06:17 UTC 2015

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

We have run into a number of issues while attempting to use var regions.  Our largest var region was a 6x6, but we have other configurations as well.  Here is are a couple of things we encountered:

1)  If var regions and normal regions share a border, we saw instability in the var region when attempting to cross from the normal to the var.  It didn't crash every time, but it did crash enough to raise concerns.
2)  Be mindful of your prim budget.  It is easy for your content creators to forget they are still dealing with a sim that is only using the same CPU/memory resources as a regular region.  As a consequence it is easy to overload them.

We had to correct the statistics mechanisms inside of OpenSimulator to attempt to debug this.  In the end, we parked that work and found it was easier to chop the var region up into regular regions.  Our needs included stability, so if you can live with the occassional random crash - you should be fine.

v/r -doug

Douglas Maxwell, Ph.D.
Science and Technology Manager
Virtual World Strategic Applications
U.S. Army Research Lab
Simulation & Training Technology Center (STTC)
(c) (407) 242-0209