[Opensim-users] Memory usage

Ai Austin ai.ai.austin at gmail.com
Wed May 27 09:12:36 UTC 2015

>From: "Thomas Ringate" <tringate at gmail.com>
>...I have noticed now for about a month or so that when an avatar
>arrives on a region, the simulator memory usage skyrockets.  Usually
>the idle memory usage has been 200MB or so for a region with no
>prims at all on it.  Just the terrain with nothing added.  Now the
>same region will skyrocket to over 1.5GB [<-- Ai correction] when an
>avatar arrives, then gradually decrees a small amount once the
>region has no avatars on it.
>What the heck changed in opensim that has caused memory usage to
>skyrocket when an avatar arrives and why does it now [<-- Ai note:
>do you mean "not"?] drop back to a reasonable level?

Can you pin down more precisely when this started Thomas.  In the
last month or so there has been the BIG changes to how the initial
inventory loads (which fixed a serious initial inventory hang issue
some of us have been having for some time on OSGrid), and that is
having some less serious knock on issues that are still under
investigation.  But these would not have started until 6th to 8th
May.  So if your issues started 6 weeks ago then its something else.

It may be worth starting a Mantis to try to get some in pit from
others, but as a quick test I just used one addon test region on
OSGrid and observe these memory usage figures on a Windows 8.1 setup
using SQLite... I am  not sure how "normal" this all is though Thomas...

Idling single region       590MB
1st avatar joins            998MB
2nd avatar joins          1724MB
2nd avatar leaves        1448MB
     after 1 minute idle   1449MB
     after 3 minutes idle  1449MB
     after 5 minutes        1005MB
1st avatar leaves          1048MB
     after 1 minute          1049MB rising slowly
     after 3 minutes        1052MB rising slowly
     after 5 minutes         1053MB
1st avatar logs back in  1302MB
2nd avatar logs back in  1692MB
2nd avatar leaves          1770MB rising slowly
     after 1 minute           1774MB rising slowly