[Opensim-users] Need help with a serious LAG problem

Seth Nygard sethnygard at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 02:20:38 UTC 2015

This is a known problem, and one that has been previously reported.  See
the following Mantis bug report;

I invite you to add your experiences to the Mantis report, and ideally if
you can collect any data and provide it back to the devs it could be a big
help in identifying what specifically is going on.  The more data that
shows what is happening the better chance they have of finding the cause.

I have seen this issue happen when users visit a sim, and they have poor
network connections, such as those using satellite or tethered cell
phones.  We have also seen this with some visitors from university dorms
where there appears to be throttling on their end, as well as others to
varying degrees.  I have been monitoring this long enough I know of several
visitors that when they arrive I know problems are likely to follow soon.

As you have seen, this problem seems grow worse as the number of avis in
the region increases.  For a while things will be ok, but if you have
console access and monitor the throttles that is generally one of the early
indicators that problems may arise.  If things clear up quick enough the
sim will recover with little to no visible impact in the region.  However
once things go on past a certain point, then you will see SimFPS and time
dilation affected, this is then when chat lag and movement within the
region are affected for everyone.  If the problems are bad enough then
threads get stalled and you sill see a large number of avis get kicked out
at the same time due to timeouts.