[Opensim-users] Need help with a serious LAG problem

Thomas Ringate tringate at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 00:04:57 UTC 2015

I am at a loss for where to look for a serious LAG problem on more than one of my regions.
I run 3 servers, each run individual instances for the regions they host.
Normally things run fairly good but for the past couple of weeks LAG has become a real problem.
Today with three avatars on one region we could not move.  I rebooted the server to restart all the regions on it with no help at all for the LAG problem.
I then deleted the region,, dropped the database, and restarted it to make it a bump in the ocean kind of region.
The three of us returned, and now we could move.  Prior to doing this I turned off scripts and in fact all scripts did stop.  That had no effect on the region at all.
I then restored the original region with a database restore and went to the region alone.  Everything was just fine.  I then asked one of the people to return and as soon as that avatar started to arrive with the white puff of smoke I was frozen and could not move.  After about five minutes, and she has rezzed, we once again could both move about.  We asked the third person to come back and at that point all avatars were frozen in place and it took almost 10 minutes before we could move at all.  Unfortunately once we started to move we could not stop.

I decided to use the return objects function in “about land” to clear the region and it took forever for that function to even display the lines where you could return objects.  I finally succeeded in returning all the objects, but that did not solve the lag problem.  The region now did not have a single prime on it.

It was then I decided to look at the log file and see if anything there might tell me what was going on.

I see hundreds of the following types of messages in the log file as each avatar arrived.

2015-03-17 17:47:20,867 DEBUG - OpenSim.Region.ClientStack.LindenUDP.LLUDPServer [LLUDPSERVER]: Received a resend of already processed packet #24386, type AgentCachedTexture from lila stone

Page after page of them.  This tells me something must be going wrong with my internet but what?  Everything else works just fine.  Both the other things running on the servers, and the many devices we have in our home using the internet.  We have Verizon FIOS 75/75 so we have plenty of speed.  My opensim ran perfectly on my old roadrunner service back a few years ago and that was a 3mb service.  Hard to say what speed I had on the outbound packets.

I need help looking for what is causing this problem but do not know where to start.

Other symptoms of the problem are when you type into chat and it takes 20-30 seconds to appear in the chat window.  I see many timeouts with communications to OSgrid as well.

Today the LAG was not just on my regions, I went to wright plaza but could never actually arrive, the viewer simply closed down as I arrived and I saw a brief glimpse of the plaza.  I went to some other plaza, can’t remember its name and could hardly move there either.

Other people are not having this problem it appears, so it is focused on anything that is using my internet connection I believe.  I have not changed anything for over two years, no hardware, or configuration settings.

HELP what do I look for?

Oh yes, the servers are 8 core AMD machines with 8GB ram with only 35% of memory used.  Looking at “top” they are not even loafing let alone busy.
Right now it says the server I have the really bad region running on is 97% idle.

If someone wants to experience it for themselves, go to Tranquil Bay, it is the worst of the land regions I am running and the one we worked with today.  It has around 7,000 prims on it.  That is less than most of my regions.

Tom