[Opensim-users] Nasty vibration walking on terrain

Ethan Grammatikidis eekee57 at fastmail.fm
Sun Mar 1 02:15:04 UTC 2015

As I said, this has been going on for over a year. (I first noticed it in November 2013.) That's how many OpenSim versions?

The time period also covers several versions of Firestorm, some significantly different to the latest version. I normally use Firestorm for OpenSim, but sometimes I try other viewers, including Cool and Kokua. The vibration is the same in all of them. (My computer can no longer run Imprudence or any other truly "v1" viewers.)

Luisillo, it sounds like you already have the configuration change, because you say you do not have the problem with a 4'5" avatar. In my OpenSim standalone and all the grids I have been in except one, the vibration is noticeable on a 5'4" avatar. ("Noticeable", not "bad".) My normal avatar is about 4'6", but on this one grid where the problem is reduced my avatar is 5'1" tall. Note this is only grid configuration change, the numbers for my avatar are the same. Perhaps that is a clue.

... Or perhaps not! While typing this email, I took a minute out to chat with the tech chief of the grid where the problem seems better after the config change. He couldn't understand how the change helped, because all he'd changed was database access, to better distribute database load. Now, I immediately thought of a bug InWorldz just uncovered last month: While an avatar is moving there is constant database access. I don't know how OpenSim is threaded, but with the wrong threading or locking arrangements physics calculations could be paused by database access.

I would not be at all surprised if this bug (constant database access while avatar is moving) is true of current OpenSim, especially because up-to-date OpenSim grids display a bug which may be a symptom: when a vehicle crosses between parcels with "restrict sounds to this parcel", the vehicle sounds go quiet for as long as the sound-emitting prim is not in the same parcel as the driver. (This does not happen in Second Life, so we know it's not the viewer being that strict.)

On Sun, Mar 1, 2015, at 12:33 AM, Luisillo Contepomi wrote:
> Hi Ethan,
> I detect this problem on avatars size 3'10" / 46 Inch / 118cm. With
> Singularity and Firestorm viewers.
>
> What viewer are you using and the OpenSim Version and your avatar size?
> (I think the limit for this problem is < 120cm.)
>
> I am using Firestorm (last release) on OpenSim 0.8.0.3 and I have not
> this problem. My size is 4'5" / 53 Inch / 135cm. But with Singularity
> and other viewers I have this problem.
>
> Best regards,
> Luisillo
>
> El 28/02/2015 a las 22:53, Ethan Grammatikidis escribió:
> > Hi. When walking on sim terrain in a short avatar, I get really nasty vibrations, making my view shake and everything. It's bad enough that I can hardly walk around. This has been going on for over a year now, but I just found it can be greatly reduced by a config change. I'd appreciate any info on what config option it might be, and why the default is so awful. (Would a change to that option make OpenSim more likely to crash?)

Wir mussen wissen, wir werden wissen.