[Opensim-users] How to set up autobackup

Unadecal Arado unadecal.arado at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 09:28:36 UTC 2015

Hello again Thomas, I managed to work this out. I rummaged through some txt
files I have been collecting with various configuration hacks collected
through chatting to other sim owners in OSGrid  and I found this:

 [AutoBackupModule]

 ;; default is module is disabled at the top level

 AutoBackupModuleEnabled = true
 AutoBackup = true
 AutoBackupInterval = 1440
 AutoBackupBusyCheck = true
 AutoBackupNaming = time
 AutoBackupDir = "D:\OARBackups\"
 AutoBackupThreshold = 1

I'm not sure what AutoBackupThreshold does, it might be an error in
invoking AutoBackupdilationThreshold since it seems to be undocumented.

At any rate, the key ingredient there seems to be AutoBackup = true to
enable the feature. It started working after I added this.

As a matter of interest, I run the base OS distro and the Metropolis
distro, both at the 0.8.0.3 version level on Windows and there isn't a
separate Autobackup module, but the feature works. Also, the Windows build
seems to be happy with both UNIX and DOS style file paths.

As an aside, I don't think that having autoBackup as an interval from
uptime is the best way to go about this. It works if the sim is undergoing
constant change and you set the intervals short enough, such as 30, 60 or
120 minutes. In any given day, then, you are bound to have several OARs,
which is great.

On the other hand, if the sim is fairly static or you are keen to minimize
overheads and set the intervals to 12 or 24 hours because you don't need
more than 1 or two OARs per day, using Autobackup might not work,
particularly if the simulator restarts for whatever reason (most of my
simulators are set to restart daily). In that case, Autobackup might chase
a time interval which will never come.

It would be great if we had a key called AutoBackupTime = hh:mm, which
schedules a backup for hh:mm no matter what if set, and then at
AutoBackupInterval after that. Yhis way, OAR generation might be more
predictable at longer intervals.

Unadecal

On 23 February 2015 at 06:22, Unadecal Arado <unadecal.arado at gmail.com>
wrote:

> [Update]
>
> I got curious, so I read the relevant Wiki pge (
> http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Feature_Proposals/AutoBackup), selected a
> currently unused simulator running Metropolis 0803, which is the current
> version, inserted  this section in the Opensim.ini file:
>
> [AutoBackupModule]
>     AutoBackupModuleEnabled = true
>     AutoBackupInterval = 10
>     AutoBackupDir = /Googledrive/Opensim-005/Embassy/OAR/
>     AutoBackupNaming = Time
> AutoBackupBusyCheck=False
>
> I then restarted the simulator and verified that the AutoBackup
> configuration had taken effect by way of the "config show" console command.
> It all seemed set, but there are no backups taking place. I have no clues
> to follow at this point since the log does not provide any details at all.
>

> On 22 February 2015 at 22:22, Unadecal Arado <unadecal.arado at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure if your configuration is not being read correctly, which is
>> strange because you reference AutoBackup config parameters in your
>> StandaloneCommon.ini (I assume you include this file in your Opensim.ini)
>> and also in your regions file.
>>
>> Have you tried adding these parameters directly into your Opensim.ini?
>>
>> You might also want to set AutoBackupBusyCheck=False, since it could also
>> be that the module is procrastinating for some unknown reason.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>>
>> Unadecal
>>
>> On 22 February 2015 at 21:36, Thomas Ringate <tringate at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>   I can’t figure out what it is I am doing wrong.  I want to set up
>>> autobackup but it is not working for me.
>>>
>>> I placed the following into my StandaloneCommon.ini file.
>>>
>>> [AutoBackupModule]
>>>     AutoBackupModuleEnabled = true
>>>     AutoBackupInterval = 30
>>>     AutoBackupDir = /var/opensim/backup/OAR/test/
>>>     AutoBackupNaming = Time
>>>
>>> My expectations were this would set this for all of my regions as their
>>> default and if I wanted something different in a specific region I could
>>> set new values in that region.
>>>
>>> I let the simulator run for a few hours and no OAR’s were created at all.
>>>
>>> I then added the following to one of my regions.
>>>
>>> AutoBackupModuleEnabled = true
>>> AutoBackupInterval = 15
>>> AutoBackupDir = /var/opensim/backup/test/