[Opensim-users] Is the user name the only information used to lock content permissions in opensim?

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 11 00:50:45 UTC 2015

When an OAR is saved and loaded into a new sim all owner permissions are kept identical - the next permissions do not
come into play, these only apply when you transfer objects within a simulator.

On loading into a sim, if the owner UUID of those objects matches an existing sim user, they will become the owner and
have the same permissions as before.  If no such user exists, the ownership defaults to the estate owner who will then
effectively get the owner permissions.

On load, one can force prims that have an owner UUID that does not exist on the new system to a named user with the
--default-user option.

On 10/02/15 22:08, Dr Ramesh Ramloll wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been wondering about the following situation. I should perhaps have tried a test case on my own (pardon my
> laziness), but I thought I would ask first.
> Say I have an oar of content all created by 'John Doe' which 'have no mod, no copy ' permissions ie whoever gets this
> content, and who is not John Doe, will not be able to modify or copy the content.
> I now import this content into a different opensim set up, and log in as 'Ann Mary'.
> I would expect the content to be no mod, no copy,  from Ann Mary's perspective.
> So far so good.
> Now, if I log in as John Doe instead of Ann Mary, would the content be moddable and copiable as it now again from John
> Doe's perspective?
>
> In short, am hoping that the user name is not the only information used to lock content permissions, hopefully the
> password is used as well.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Ramesh

Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)